Business Formation and Corporate Compliance
True or false: many entrepreneurs go into business in order to spend months on red tape and administration. That is a trick question and too often this statement is true and false. Even though dealing with red tape is not their intent, it becomes the reality. The types of tasks range from the simple and mundane – think setting up a computer and Wi-Fi, securing workspace and insurance, – to the complex and exceptional – filing corporate formation documents, pulling business licenses, setting up an initial public offering. If you are a sole proprietor, you will be making the decisions alone. If you are a partner in a partnership, there will be a process, casual or formal, for making decisions and deciding who executes them (which may add more drag than efficiency, early on). All of this can be both exciting and intimidating.
To take away some of the frustration and confusion, Grant | Shenon has the necessary knowledge and experience to provide you with assistance and the smoothest and most thorough advancement possible. Our team recognizes that effective planning helps to avoid future problems and disputes. Our extensive experience informs us of what is required for the creation of a variety of business structures, from simple to extremely complex. These include corporations, limited liability companies, partnerships, and joint ventures. We focus on the specific objectives of each client, individually tailoring legal strategies to support those objectives.
We provide advice and assistance in matters such as:
• Selecting the best entity for the client’s needs
• Preparing formation documents (such as certificates of incorporation, formation, or partnership)
• Preparing and filing documents (such as formation and qualification) with secretaries of state
• Preparing governing documents such as bylaws, operating agreements, and partnership agreements
• Preparing shareholder agreements and buy-sell agreements
• Providing advice as to the legal limitations and possibilities of doing business under state law
• Setting up and maintaining stock as well as other corporate records
• Registering businesses with state taxing authorities
• Obtaining employer identification numbers
• Responding to queries from the Secretary of State
We recognize that our clients rely on us to avoid potential pitfalls, so we use our extensive experience to assist them in navigating business and legal courses of action. We take this responsibility seriously and always aim to provide our clients with appropriate protection while meeting their goals in an ethical, friendly, and professional manner.
One reason that we are successful in this area of law is that deep down inside, many of our lawyers are frustrated entrepreneurs. We love the law, but also kind of wish we had started (or stayed with) businesses of our own. The upshot is we love our work, and we are very good at it. And the goal of our work is to make you as successful as possible. Now that we’ve gotten that out of the way, we earnestly recommend that you seek counsel early on. This prevents not just the waste of time on projects that might not need to be done, but in the worst cases, efforts spent to undo well-intentioned but inappropriate actions. Please contact us at Grant | Shenon
today if you feel that you are ready to take the plunge and you want us by your side. We look forward to meeting.